All the U.S. “Wild Weasel” F-16s are being given a new paint job similar to the one of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.
It is called “Have Glass 5th generation” as it represents the evolution of the standard Have Glass program that saw all the F-16s receiving a two-tone grey color scheme made with a special radar-absorbing paint capable to reduce the aircraft Radar Cross Section: in fact, “Vipers” are covered with RAM (Radar Absorbent Material) made of microscopic metal grains that can degrade the radar signature of the aircraft.
For the moment, the JSF-like paint job will be applied to the F-16CM (formerly CJ) Block 50 Fighting Falcon aircraft that can carry a variety of air-to-air and air-to-surface ordnance, including HARM (High-speed Anti-Radiation Missiles) and precision-guided munitions.
Their role is to enter the enemy territory ahead of the strike package to take care of the enemy air defenses: radars and fixed and mobile SAM (Surface to Air Missiles) batteries.
Therefore, the units that will fly with the F-16CMs in the new color scheme will be those tasked with SEAD (Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses) missions: the 52nd Fighter Wing at Spangdahlem (Germany), the 35th FW at Misawa (Japan), the 20th FW at Shaw Air Force Base, the 169th FW at McEntire Joint National Guard Base (SC), and 148th FW at Duluth International Airport, (MN).
Whilst two aircraft in the U.S. flew the Have Glass 4 paint job for test purposes (98-0004 and 98-0005 flying with the 85th Test and Evaluation Squadron from Eglin AFB) the first aircraft spotted in the new livery is a Minnesota ANG F-16CM, 91-0391, that is currently deployed at Kandahar, Afghanistan.
The F-35 will replace the F-16CM in the SEAD role in the future.
Image credit: Antonio Muñiz Zaragüeta
- An unusual visitor at Nellis Air Force Base: Obama’s Air Force One, world’s most heavily defended plane (theaviationist.com)
- A possible blue print for an Israeli attack on Iran. Including special munitions, radar evading tech, ballistic missiles (theaviationist.com)
- Six Turkey’s F-16s scrambled on Syria border after Syrian helicopters came close to the Turkish airspace (theaviationist.com)
- Did Iran really get one or more F-16 fighter jets from Venezuela? (theaviationist.com)
- U.S. bombers to get an improved stealth weapon. Capable to destroy targets 600 miles away. Useful for Syria, North Korea, Iran or China. (theaviationist.com)
where are you sourcing this story from?
A source who wishes to remain anonymous.
Ah, obviously I meant the fact that Have Glass V is being applied.
The fact that the F-16 has RAM is very well known. I’ve visited the ItAF Wing that operated them and had Have Glass paint job on their planes.