Taken on Jul. 21, 2012, by Russell Hill, the following picture shows a variable-sweep wing B-1 strategic bomber serialled 85-0073 “Dark Knight”, belonging to the 7th Bomb Wing, 13th Bomb Squadron, based at Dyess Air Force Base, Texas, during a fast flyby at the McChord Air Expo, McChord AFB, Washington.
Due to the high speed, the fast pass generated a huge condensation cloud around the Bone’s upper wing and fuselage surfaces. This type of cloud is the effect of a sudden decrease of pressure in the airflow around the aircraft in moisty weather conditions.
Image credit: Russell Hill
- B-52 bombers deployed to Europe (for an exercise) using a special radio callsign: the name of a Libyan city (theaviationist.com)
- This photo of an F-15E Strike Eagle generating a condensation cloud at low altitude is simply stunning (theaviationist.com)
- [Photo gallery] All the most interesting aircraft of the “Resurgent” Russian Air Force on display (theaviationist.com)
- Too cool to be true: a night sortie on board the B-52 Stratofortress. As seen through the Night Vision Goggles (theaviationist.com)
- Photo: Lightning fills the sky behind a B-1 bomber during a late night thunderstorm at Ellsworth Air Force Base (theaviationist.com)
- Photo: Neither a new black project nor a UFO. This is “just” a huge B-1 bomber being trucked (theaviationist.com)
- U.S. strategic bomber and tanker to be (temporarily) based in Australia. The first of a series of “future rotational deployments” (theaviationist.com)
- [Photo Report] A wide variety of modern combat planes (including strategic bombers) at Red Flag 12-4 at Nellis Air Force Base (theaviationist.com)
Great shot – is there any others posted elsewhere?
I’ve always been confused by this. I learned in a basic thermodynamics course that increasing pressure compresses vapor into a liquid and decreasing pressure expands liquid into a gas. Wouldn’t the condensation cloud be due to a sudden spike in pressure?
The same effect on Russian Su-30 http://spotavia.blogspot.com/2012/02/su-30-30.html
Nice shots, Ruidano. Are these shots of the SU-30’s currently being inducted?