The following video, allegedly showing a Syrian Mil Mi-8 helicopter shot down by the rebels, was published by several media outlets all around the world as the first kill achieved by the Free Syria Army (FSyA).
However, I’m not sure it actually shows a chopper hit by the anti-aircraft fire.
First of all, the flight path is absolutely unusual. The helicopter performs a steep and fast dive before being hit by anything. Moreover, the fire that can be seen it’s that of the aircraft rocket launchers.
Finally, you can’t see the Hip crashing into the ground nor any wreckage was showed.
Therefore, I believe the video was filmed with a mobile phone oriented vertically, not horizontally.
- Syrian revolution puts instructions on how to shoot down a regime helicopter on-line (theaviationist.com)
- Hip helicopter videos from Syria (including footage of a Mil Mi-17 shot down by rebels) (theaviationist.com)
- Syrian air war escalates: the Mil Mi-24 Hind gunship makes its debut against rebel forces (theaviationist.com)
- An entire Syrian Air Defense Battalion defected, (possibly) bringing some new anti-aircraft weapons in rebel hands. (theaviationist.com)
- Video: Syrian Arab Air Force Mil Mi-25 high altitude bomb attack on Daal, Syria. (theaviationist.com)
Here’s a somewhat related story from the New York Times: The 3-Step Method to Analyzing Videos from Syria: The Case of Heat-Seeking Missiles
same video with english subtitles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pKSvliS6ao