Taken in the South China Sea on Oct. 15, the following picture shows a quite unusual formation: two F/A-18Es from VFA-27 “Royal Maces” fly in formation with two Sukhoi Su-30s from the Royal Malaysian Air Force over USS George Washington.
The forward-deployed aircraft carrier USS George Washington (CVN 73) its embarked air wing, Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 5 “provide a combat-ready force that protects and defends the collective maritime interest of the U.S. and its allies and partners in the Asia-Pacific region.”
Image credit: U.S. Navy
- U.S. strategic bomber and tanker to be (temporarily) based in Australia. The first of a series of “future rotational deployments” (theaviationist.com)
- India to build export version of Sukhoi T-50 Stealth Fighter (theaviationist.com)
- “If you don’t come to democracy, democracy will come to you”: this is what this awesome aircraft carrier photo says (theaviationist.com)
- 27 years ago today, the Achille Lauro incident: when the U.S. Navy forced an Egyptair Boeing 737 off course (theaviationist.com)
- Tony Scott, Hank Kleeman, Kara Hultgreen and the F-14 Tomcat: three (tragic) stories and a legendary plane (theaviationist.com)