The following video, emerged on Sept. 4, shows the remains of a Syrian Arab Air Force Mig-21 shot down near Idlib.
The pilot lies near the tail of the aircraft, with a deployed parachute: most probably the Mig was either hit at low altitude or the pilot ejected when it was too late (thus not giving the chute enough time to fully deploy).
Although it is almost impossible to determine what may have brought the fighter jet down, the fact that the tail of the aircraft is almost intact without any evident burn near the exhaust should be a sign that the Mig-21 was probably not hit by an IR (Infra-Red) MANPADS (Man Portable Air Defense System) or surface-to-air missile.
Once again, it may have been anti-aircraft artillery.
Anyway, further details can be found on the interesting post published by Brown Moses on his blog.
- Syria: this is what being fired upon by an L-39 jet looks like (theaviationist.com)
- Video: Rebels down Syrian Arab Air Force Mig-23BN fighter jet in East Syria (theaviationist.com)
- Syria: Mig-21 firing rockets caught on tape (theaviationist.com)
- New videos show Syrian gunship helicopters dropping bombs on Homs and Damascus (theaviationist.com)
- Impressive video: Syria flexes muscles with live firing exercise including Mig-29s, Mig-23s, Mig-21s, Su-24s and gunship helicopters (theaviationist.com)
- This may be the first video taken on board a Syrian Arab Air Force gunship helicopter during a mission against the rebels (theaviationist.com)
- Syrian Arab Air Force trainer jets turned into attack planes to strike rebel positions (theaviationist.com)
- L-39 Albatros jet trainer spotted over Aleppo, Syria. (theaviationist.com)
The correct link is this:
Not a Mig 21. L29 maybe
The aircraft is indeed a Mig-21. I originally posted the wrong link. Fixed it.
Thats more like it!!! ;o)
hey guys anyone else intrigued by the rifle held by the guy looting the pilot? i looks like a Colt variant (the stock hints it) but anyone other ideas?
It was allegedly shot down during takeoff with “heavy machine gun” fire