The following video, emerged on Sept. 4, shows the remains of a Syrian Arab Air Force Mig-21 shot down near Idlib.
The pilot lies near the tail of the aircraft, with a deployed parachute: most probably the Mig was either hit at low altitude or the pilot ejected when it was too late (thus not giving the chute enough time to fully deploy).
Although it is almost impossible to determine what may have brought the fighter jet down, the fact that the tail of the aircraft is almost intact without any evident burn near the exhaust should be a sign that the Mig-21 was probably not hit by an IR (Infra-Red) MANPADS (Man Portable Air Defense System) or surface-to-air missile.
Once again, it may have been anti-aircraft artillery.
Anyway, further details can be found on the interesting post published by Brown Moses on his blog.
- Syria: this is what being fired upon by an L-39 jet looks like (theaviationist.com)
- Video: Rebels down Syrian Arab Air Force Mig-23BN fighter jet in East Syria (theaviationist.com)
- Syria: Mig-21 firing rockets caught on tape (theaviationist.com)
- New videos show Syrian gunship helicopters dropping bombs on Homs and Damascus (theaviationist.com)
- Impressive video: Syria flexes muscles with live firing exercise including Mig-29s, Mig-23s, Mig-21s, Su-24s and gunship helicopters (theaviationist.com)
- This may be the first video taken on board a Syrian Arab Air Force gunship helicopter during a mission against the rebels (theaviationist.com)
- Syrian Arab Air Force trainer jets turned into attack planes to strike rebel positions (theaviationist.com)
- L-39 Albatros jet trainer spotted over Aleppo, Syria. (theaviationist.com)
They are very careful to point out the serial numbers.
In the earlier video, one of them goes so far as to dust the number off with his foot (strange behavior, not the first thing one does when confronted with aircraft wreckage, unless they have future uses for it), in the newer one the gang leader directly points the number out. So… my guess is it’s the same plane, they just painted a different number on the tail section in the newer video apparently after dragging it elsewhere.