On Sept. 24, 12 U.S. Marine Corps F/A-18A Hornet jets arrived to Morón airbase, in Spain, coming from Lajes, Azores.
Belonging to the VMFA-314 Black Knights, from MCAS Miramar, California, the aircraft arrived in two waves as “Trend 61-66” and “Trend 71-76”.
Although someone speculated they were deploying to Afghanistan, where the U.S. has recently suffered a deadly attack at Camp Bastion’s airfield, where six Harriers were destroyed and two severely damaged, the VMFA-314 Hornets were enroute to an undisclosed location in the Middle East.
An exercise or a build-up in the Libya, Mali region?
Image credit: Antonio Muñiz Zaragüeta
- Photo: This is what remains of a U.S. Marine Corps Harrier jet after the Taliban attack on Camp Bastion (theaviationist.com)
- Commanding Officer of the Harrier squadron decimated at Camp Bastion among the Marines killed in the Taliban attack (theaviationist.com)
- Reaper drone and Apache helicopter involved in the Camp Bastion battle that wiped out the U.S. Marine Corps Harrier force in Afghanistan (theaviationist.com)
- Camp Bastion attack could be U.S. Marine Corps Harrier fleet’s ground zero (theaviationist.com)
- Marine Attack Squadron loses eight Harrier jets in worst U.S. air loss in one day since the Vietnam War (theaviationist.com)
- This U.S. package (including a B-52 and few tactical planes) is worth a small European air force (theaviationist.com)
- U.S. Marine Corps F/A-18C crashes at NAS Fallon, Nevada. The last of a series of Hornet incidents (theaviationist.com)
Interesting the group of 18’s out of Miramar are coming out… How many F15E groups would you think are in the area already?
Or directed to Iran?
10-12 A-10s from Davis Monthan arrived at Westover ARB, heading overseas… not sure if it is a regular deployment or not.