Cool upside down self-portrait photo of an Israeli F-15 fighter pilot (wearing a local-made Display And Sight Helmet) May 8, 2012Posted by David Cenciotti in : Military Aviation , trackback
You will not find many official photographs of the Israeli airmen. Even less showing their custom-modified flight gear.
However, an interesting image released by the Israel Defence Force, not only shows an Israeli Air Force F-15I backseater during an inverted climb above Judea and Samaria (with the Dead Sea clearly visible on the right), but gives also a close up view the visor of his DASH (Display And Sight Helmet).
Image credit: IDF
Obviously, the picture doesn’t provide many details about the helmet. Still, it gives an idea of the shape of the visor where information imagery (including aircraft’s airspeed, altitude, weapons status, aiming etc) is projected so as to enable the pilot to look out in any direction with all the required data always in his field of vision.
DASH helmets enable pilots to aim weapons against enemy aircraft merely by pointing their heads at the targets. Based on the pilot’s Line-Of-Sights (LOS) relative to the aircraft measured by the DASH and transferred to other aircraft systems, all the on board systems and weapons are enslaved to the target.
Therefore the DASH is quite similiar to the U.S. JHMCS (Joint Helment Mounted Cueing System) used by F-16s, F-15s and F-18s (not by F-22s): they are normal Gentex helmets fitted with Israel’s Elbit Systems optics.
- M-346 advanced combat trainer’s HMD (Helmet Mounted Display) tested in night configuration (theaviationist.com)
- Dambusters test adveniristic helmet for RAF Tornado crews. Most advanced combat planes have similar helmets, except the F-22. (theaviationist.com)
- Here’s the M-346 in Israeli Air Force colors (theaviationist.com)
- Israeli F-15I to be equipped with removable probe for buddy air-to-air refueling in case of attack on Iran? (theaviationist.com)
- Azerbaijan to host Israeli Air Force planes in case of attack on Iran? (theaviationist.com)
- Italy to provide Israeli Air Force with the M-346, an advanced training plane that “already looks on to the F-35″. (theaviationist.com)